Friday 14 August 2009

Outwitting Missi

It was time to worm Missi today. I had a hospital appointment this morning so with the tension from that we decided to leave this task until this evening when Missi would be wanting her food.

We deliberately avoided a lunchtime snack for her so that she would be hungry.

Missi kept miaowing wanting food. She is not a cat that wants much fuss and it has to be on her terms otherwise teeth and claws appear.

She was in fairly placid mood so we got the tablet out of its hiding place and then we placed the cat between us with a blanket in place should we need it. I held Missi by the scruff of the neck and she then started purring. This was unusual for her and we did feel for her. We got the tablet into her mouth but she immediately spat it out. We then got it back in and held her mouth closed and stroked her throat to encourage her to swallow. This didn't take long and didn't hurt her. I then held her for a while to ensure the tablet had in fact gone the way it was supposed to.

As a reward her tea was then ready for her. This again ensures the tablet has been swallowed and as Missi was hungry she kept swallowing with anticipation of her food.

After her tea she then wandered into the living room. I put my hand down to her but as we expected she was having none of it. Instead she galloped off up the stairs to play with her toy mouse. I went to stroke her but she hit me with her paws (luckily no claws).

I am glad we don't have to do this every day but at least this task is done for now.

Steve suggested putting powders on her food next time. Oh no you don't I said she won't eat it and then you never know what dose a cat has had. I have learnt this over time with many cats.

At least the flea treatment is easier as it just gets put on the back of her neck.

The cat is now lying in the bedroom at the top of the stairs in her usual place so let us hope she calms down soon and I know in time she will forgive us.

Cats are canny creatures but humans know how to outwit them at times.

Best wishes

Fee

No comments:

Post a Comment